Labels

Monday, September 12, 2011

If You Don't Like the Weather, Wait Ten Minutes

First of all I need to say that this post doesn't have any pictures. I wasn't prepared for this event and thus I didn't bring a camera, which is for the best.


I was looking at the weather via online and found that today was going to be the last warm day for the rest of the week. Then I thought that I would go beach it up while I could. The sky was blue, the sun was high, and the thermometer read a warm 26° Celsius.


The Sea of Superior was slightly agitated which caused the deeper cold water to come into shallow warm areas, thus I only went in to my waist. While sitting in the sand I noticed a distant rumbling and a dark cumulonimbus in the western sky. I watched the distant lightning along with fellow beach goers.  
Soon the storm seemed to approach closer, and few people left the beach. The storm came closer and closer and closer. Most people left at this point, but many were still enjoying the sand. I thought that I would be fine if I stayed a bit and see if the storm would pass, but my gut was pretty much saying "Get the hell out of there." And if Jack London taught me anything, it would be that instinct is greater than logic. 


So it started to rain as I was leaving...then the sun came out. Not taking any chances I went to the nearest   pavilion where some Asians took refuge. Right then it got dark and started downpouring. As soon as it started hailing a young couple and their daughter came running out of the woods to the pavilion. The hail grew to golfball sized (and it wasn't the nice round stuff, but the spiked hail.) Finally a strong wind wanted to join the party: it didn't matter that we were under a roof anymore since the rain and hail was coming in sideways. 


Then just like that it ended. Soaked to our bones we walk out into a lawn of hail to find a clear blue sky again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment