Labels

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wisco Point

I spent the last weekend at the cottage as well as spent a night in Ashland. On monday morning I was coming back to Duluth when I decided to go to Wisconsin Point in Superior before I crossed the border. Wisconsin Point is about a three mile portion of the largest freshwater sandbar on the planet(the other portion of the sandbar is the seven mile Minnesota Point.) 


When I first got to the end of the point there was a floating crane that was going through the opening between the Wisconsin and Minnesota Points. 




On the point is a functioning lighthouse. 





Wisconsin Point was a sacred place to the Anishinaabe peoples. This place was a burial ground until the American government removed the bodies. While the government still owns the point, there is talk of the Anishinaabe getting ownership returned to them. 


Another fun fact is that my Ojibwemowin professor actually had ancestors buried here. 


At this point I wished I smoked, so that I could've given a tobacco offering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment