Labels

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tour de Port

I went on an interstate bike ride to explore one of Duluth/Superior's greatest assets: the Twin Ports. I started out by biking to Canal Park, then to the Port of Duluth on Rice Point, over the Bong Bridge to Wisconsin, and then explored some of the Port of Superior. Since the Port of Superior was by far bigger than Duluth's, I ran out of daylight and energy to complete my route. So expect a part two in the future. I also was unable to explore the ports thoroughly as I was threatened by "No Trespassing" signs, barbed-wire fences, and Orwellian surveillance. Someday soon I will contact those companies and use my "I am a photographer from UMD" credentials to try to get access to private property. 


This is the "William A. Irvin." It is permanently situated downtown as a museum. My dad really wanted to go, so he and my mom went when they "helped" me move in.


The famous Aerial-Lift Bridge.


General Mills' dock



This was the bridge to Wisconsin before the 1950's. The only remaining portion of it is a public fishing dock. 




I was worried that they were going to find the drugs that I was smuggling in the trunk of my bicycle...


When I got to Wisconsin I found this driveway. It was very old with tall grasses breaking through the cement. Also it was blocked by unused pieces of rail. 


About a quarter down the driveway I found the foundation of an old building.




The driveway ended at a fence. There was a herd of deer back there also. See that nice buck back there? Yeah... I shot it...with my camera. 




This building is a fishery now. 


And this is the insides of an abandoned boat. 


This ship is at port delivering/receiving something. 

 

This ship was called the "American Victory." It wasn't in the best condition. Someone should probably repaint it soon. 


I went back to Minnesota and made some pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment