Labels

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm a Tourist Too

Since I work in the tourism industry I got a bunch of free passes to different attractions in Duluth. My sister Brooke came up for a day so that we could go be tourists. 


First we went on the Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad to go for a train ride. This was the only tourist attraction I've had never heard of prior to this summer. It was really neat as not many people go on it as it is slightly off the radar of the standard tourist. 



The train ride starts in West Duluth. Then it rides along the western shore of the St. Louis River to New Duluth. And finally it returns to West Duluth.


Brooke made a friend.



This is a short video of the 1940's engine during the switch over. 


"Come ride us!"


You can see here in this photo that I did enjoy the ride very much. 


After the train ride I took Brooke to Glensheen to show her around the mansion. We also had lunch in the formal gardens. 


Despite the fact that I work here, I realized that I never photographed the house. So I made sure I took one. 


Next we decided to go on a cruise. Of course we went on the Vista Fleet. 


I took more than two pictures, but seeing how this blog has an overabundant number of pictures of the Aerial Lift Bridge, Lake Superior, and downtown Duluth, I decided to not post them. 

But wait, there's more:


Finally we toured the William A. Irvin: the former flagship of the U.S. Steel Corporation. 


The engine room.



This was the dining room for guests on the ship.


I could have played this up more. 


The guests' cabins had these awesome great lake lamps. 






And finally this is in the hull. 

The Vista Fleet gave us coupon books and one coupon was a buy-one-get-one-half-off sandwiches at Amazing Grace. So we of course ate there before Brooke went home. 


2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the wheel on the ship. You could get that printed for grandma and grandpa's lakehouse bathroom. (I want to redecorate it nautical themed.)

    ReplyDelete