Labels

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Duluth Deluge

I was dreaming that it was snowing, everyone in Duluth was in awe as well as in distress at the extreme weather. But then I awoke. It was about 9:15 am. I checked facebook to find everyone talking about animals escaping from the zoo. Upon reading my email I discover that there is flooding in Duluth. First thing I thought about was Chester Creek. I immediately grabbed my camera then ran outside without changing clothes nor putting on shoes. 


After getting at the bottom of the ravine in my backyard this is what I found. Chester Creek had become Chester River. 


There's no hiking on the SHT today. 


But the really scary part was that there were landslides along the creek. This one got so close to this person's house. 



The stone stairs were also a waterfall. 
What was usually this:


Was this:


And what was usually this:


Was this:


It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. While I was taking photos it started down pouring and thunder storming. So I headed home for refuge. Afterward Tyler R. told me he wanted to walk around and check out the flood, so I headed back out. 




Chester Creek again.


The retaining wall for Whole Food's parking lot had collapsed.


Some people pay a lot of money to have waterfall landscaping. 


Off course no flood is complete without having cars fall into sinkholes. 



The steam was going crazy also. 






 Amy wanted her picture taken next to the exploding storm drain. 




Well maybe Chip Cravaack will finally give us the infrastructure funding we have been trying to get for so long. 

This flood had also gave rise to flood related internet memes. Here are some of my favorites:





No comments:

Post a Comment